Coulibistrie had a wooden chapel covered with trash before 1892.
This chapel was blessed and dedicated to St. Ann on July 27,1862 by Bishop R.C.M. Poirier, 3rd Bishop of Roseau (1858 – 1878) . St. Ann , the mother of Mary and the powerful patroness of French Brittany was introduced by the Congregation of Jesus and Mary (the Eudist Order), who came to Dominica on the invitation of Bishop Poirier, an Eudist himself.
Fr. Jules François Michel, a French priest, was appointed parish priest on Nov. 12 1876. It was during his long ministry that the present stone church in Coulibistrie was built.
This church was built of natural stone, which can be found in the nearby river . The parishioners spent many days carrying these stones to the site of the church The church has a rectangular shape with a length of 59 feet and is 32 feet wide. The apse is half -circular. Four stone buttresses were placed at the corners.
This church was solemnly blessed by Bishop Michael Naughten , 4th Bishop of Roseau (1880- 1900) on August 24, 1892.
When Fr. Jules Michel died on March 14, 1901 he was buried in the church in Coulibistrie. A memorial plaque in the church commemorate him
Note that the river stone were not shaped, cut or faced as in other churches but placed by the local masons, round as they were found in nature, to construct the church walls.
Pay especially attention to the small but beautiful stained glass panels in the windows.